Friday, October 27, 2017

Paul Ryan, you got it wrong


I purposely stay out of political discussion on social media. The last few days have compelled me to turn that aside. I must comment, and let the Great Congressman from Wisconsin know that he is wrong. We do care. When did it become okay to be a bully? When did we decide it is okay to make fun of people and call them derogatory names? When did we decide that to get our point across we demean and yell. When did we decide it was ok to elect a lying, smug, sexual predator because we agreed with some of his policy?

Jeff Flake gave a blistering speech on the Senate Floor the other day to announce his retirement. It was inspiring and said the things most of America is thinking. I am proud to call him a Senator. I wish our two Utah Senators, Mike Lee and Orrin Hatch, had the backbone to stand up to all this hate. Not one of our elected officials stood by him. Paul Ryan’s response was, "I don't think the American people care about that,"

I have voted Republican, I have voted Democrat. I am embarrassed to be called American if what Paul Ryan says is true.

This rant is not about which side is right. It is to let Paul Ryan know, He is wrong. We do care. For too long our politicians, on both sides, have catered to special interests and minority opinions. We voice our discontentment, nothing happens. We do care, unfortunately many of us have given up. Our President was the beneficiary of this. In any other year he would have and should have been laughed and shrugged off the stage.

Paul Ryan, we do care, unfortunately many of us have given up. We have lost hope that there can be any meaningful dialogue. Look at all the vitriol spewed on Facebook and Twitter. Bitching, with absolutely no solutions. Democrats wringing their hands, Republicans looking the other way because anything is better than Obama or Hillary.

I am sure most of us have seen the Burger King Bully video. So many people looked the other way. You could see it made them uncomfortable. Still they did nothing. It had no effect on their lives. Politics in our country seems to be the same.  We say, “Well, it does not really have an effect on me.” “It is refreshing to hear someone speak their mind.” “I can overlook the issues on both sides because it won’t change my life.” “I can complain about it on Facebook, it makes me feel involved.” I am here to tell you that is not the case. If you watch as a child gets bullied and do nothing. You are a bully. Putting it on Facebook will not help, except ease your conscious perhaps. Our Senator from Utah is incensed that a few people might have to pay $70 to get into a couple of national parks. He calls it extortion. Oh my. Yet, he is quiet on Medicare expansion in Utah for the disabled. Something that could have a huge effect on thousands of Utahans.

Paul Ryan, we do care, unfortunately many of us have given up. When will the time come for us to take back the hope politicians stole from us. We are a silent majority.

It is not okay to be a bully, it is not okay to yell and demean to get your point across. It is not okay to lie, it is not okay to accept a sexual predator because his policies are better than the alternative.

Let’s stand up for Jeff Flake, for Bob Corker and John McCain. They got it right.

Paul Ryan, you are wrong. We do care.

No comments:

Post a Comment