Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Fallacy of Training


Greeting customers

Welcome to just like everybody else motors.

High achieving salespeople do not do this.

We can all agree training is vital to our success. We may disagree about the kind of training. We all needed necessary steps to the sale when we first started in this business. Some need it every year; they still do not understand.

If you question salespeople on the steps to a sale, 95% will get them right. It might be eight steps, ten steps, or twelve steps. Almost all would understand the basic concepts, and many could train your new people on the steps.

The question for me stems from the selling process our high performers use. Several years ago, we had six salespeople averaging 25+ per month. We trained them consistently, or we thought we did. I could cut and paste the greeting from almost all training.

“Welcome to I sound like every other dealer motors. Extending my hand, I ask My name is Bob and yours is? How may I be of assistance?”

I have never, not one time heard my high performers use this line. I guess that is not true. I have heard them use it during “training.” None of the six salespeople used the line welcome. It is just not part of our vocabulary. It sounds insincere. Is it better than, “can I help ya?”. I think the verdict is out on that.

We all train our salespeople to treat a customer like they are welcoming them into their home. We tell them to use a line they would not say any other time. Using our training to make a customer feel uncomfortable is not a wise use of that time. Look at yourself. Have you ever responded well to welcome and what is your name? I know I have not

Listen to your top people. They have the art of making a great first impression down to a science. You will hear lines like, “Hello, are you looking for anyone in particular?” “How may I help you today?” Many other variations. What you will not hear is Welcome to I sound very insincere Ford.

Basic training is a necessity. We must teach and give our salespeople a solid foundation of understanding.

Why teach them the processes we would not use. Allow them some freedom to move. Making a good first impression is essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment