Thursday, November 9, 2017

What would you like written on your tombstone


Years ago, I took one of those useless personality profiles that permeate the sales world. It was easy to skew my answers, so the profile fits what the employer wanted. Not meant as a critique of those senseless tests. However, at the end was a question I have never forgotten. “What would you like written on your tombstone.” Most people will joke about it. Sell your beer stock; he was a jackass and proud of it, etc. I took the question seriously, for some reason, and tried to live my life by my answer.

Many times, I have said, about leaving my job, “Give it a few months, and it will be like I was never here.”

No one wants to be forgotten. No one wants to think that the time they’ve spent with someone meant nothing. No one wants to feel like they aren’t important.

Don’t forget where you’re from and it won’t forget about you.

Realize everything you do makes some difference. Pat yourself on the proverbial back now and then. You have tremendous effect on those around you. Look at your friends and you will see you.

Oh, my response to the question. “Today the world is a smaller place.”

Remember you are always in the right place, at the right time if you have the right attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment