Friday, April 7, 2017

Pizza and Communication


 With the advent of our mobile society, many have lost the skill to communicate effectively. A couple days ago I ordered a Pizza for take-out. The girl I ordered from seemed less than thrilled about me calling. I asked about thin crust and she quickly informed me that they have only one crust. Not rude just very matter of fact. I waited the requisite thirty minutes and then went to pick up my order. I let them know I was there for my take-out.

I waited another thirty minutes, no order. I was ignored by every employee who came to the counter. Finally I asked about my order. Oh my, it got dropped on the floor and forgotten. I got excuses from everyone. It seems they had not planned for the spring break business.

The lack of communication was terrible. We all make mistakes and most of us are willing to overlook the mistakes if we know what is happening. All they wanted to do was place blame. I did not care whose fault it was. I was disappointed in the lack of respect for my time.

My advice to them was simple. Don’t make excuses, communicate clearly what has happened, do not place blame and let the customer know exactly what you are doing to fix the issue. Most of us are very understanding. When you handle a difficult situation quickly customers can become your biggest allies.

No comments:

Post a Comment